Cundall Manor Sport
Cundall Manor has always had a strong sporting reputation, it is one of the many reasons parents choose Cundall for their child’s education. Our sports staff are not only skilled experts in their field but also passionate sportspeople who encourage pupils to be just as enthusiastic as they are about playing, training and competing.
Cundall recognises the many benefits of health and well-being for pupils who participate in physical exercise. Our pupils play on average 6 hours of sports a week, excluding fixtures. In addition to this our pupils learn patience, resilience and teamwork as well as understanding the importance of working hard and collaboratively with their peers.
Our expansive school grounds across 28 acres offer each child the opportunity to play and develop skills as they move up the school and our fixture list is packed with exciting matches across the North Yorkshire circuit. Many of our pupils compete not just at school level but also go on to play at county level and beyond.
All of our sports teams are honoured to represent Cundall Manor at fixtures which they play with dedication and skill. Cundall are often champions across hockey, cricket and rugby.
During Michaelmas term boys rugby and girls hockey feature heavily on the games pitches.
Lent term sees our boys playing hockey and whilst the girls enjoy netball and football.
During our summer term both boys and girls enjoy athletics, cricket and cross country running. Yoga, fencing and water polo are also offered as part of our enrichment programme.
Sport forms a huge part of Cundall Manor Pupils’ development and is something the whole school is proud of. There is a great sense of achievement across the school thanks to training and inter house sporting competitions. Cundall Manor pupils enjoy both competing and winning and many go on to pursue sports at sixth form and then onto professional sporting careers. To read more about how our alumni go on to pursue their sporting passions please see our alumni page.
We also offer sporting scholarships for enthusiastic boys and girls who join us from year 6.
Whatever their individual ability, we believe that each child should participate in team events. We expect all of our pupils to experience the thrill of competing in a sporting context and to learn the appreciation of fair play and good sportsmanship.
For more information about Cundall Manor please do contact our admissions department who will happily organise a visit which includes chatting with our sports staff.
Meet the Cundall Manor Sports Staff Team
Head of Girls Games
Mrs Louise Bessey
Teacher of PE & Boys Sport
Mr Oliver Couttie
Teacher of PE & Boys Sport
Mr Nicholas James
Teacher of Girls Games
Miss Emily Williams
Cundall champion hockey players
- Cundall Manor is proud of its outstanding hockey players and our teams are the envy of many schools
- Our Head of girls games, Mrs. Bessey, is proud of the numerous championships the girls have won over the years and is a wonderful advocate for the sport
- Hockey is a core sport for girls and is played by boys in the Lent term, also. As well as local schools fixtures we also compete at county level. Every pupil enjoys team hockey whatever their ability
- Our coaches and teaching staff work tirelessly to make sure that hockey is something that is enjoyed and played by all pupils at school. The team building skills that pupils perfect is something that stays with them throughout their school career and many of our pupils go on to pursue scholarships at sixth form
Champion rugby players
- Rugby is a core boys’ sport that is played throughout Cundall Manor from year 3 and we have many teams that compete on the North Yorkshire independent school fixture circuit
- Rugby helps boys to focus on skills development whilst exercising strong work ethics. Boys enjoy building a strong team spirit whilst both training and competing which they do four times a week from year 7
- Many of our players go on to sixth form and university and pursue a further career in rugby, something which we are particularly proud of
- Cundall Manor enjoy a highly competitive inter house rugby competition which always creates an exciting level of competition and camaraderie among everyone
Competitive Cricket at Cundall
- Cundall Manor grounds are perfect for a sensational cricket experience. Cricket is popular with both girls and boys
- Our cricket pavilion is a great focus for visitors who come to support matches in the summer term
- Inter school fixtures take place in the summer term, allowing students of all abilities the opportunity to compete
- Cundall Manor has two full size pitches and three junior cricket pitches that are used throughout the term to perfect fielding and batting skills. When not playing in a match our pupils can practice at the nets
Netball at Cundall Manor
- Netball is a popular game for girls from years 3 upwards and we are proud to have had many successful achievements over the years
- Netball is played on our Cundall Manor Astro Turf pitches
- Cundall Manor school has competitive netball teams that run over all age groups: 1st VII, 2nd VII, 3rd VII, 15 A/B, 14 A/B
Cundall Manor Swimming Pool
- Cundall Manor pupils swim in our indoor heated swimming pool and pupils from reception enjoy swimming lessons throughout the year
- Many Cundall pupils are competitive swimmers who compete at club and county level Pupils enter the ISA swimming competition every year in the Olympic sized pool, London
- All pupils take part in our exciting inter house swimming gala which his a memorable day for all involved
Athletics and Cross Country
- Cross country is enjoyed by pupils in years 3-11 in the Michaelmas and Lent terms and the school takes part in area competitions and inter school fixtures
- Several Cundall pupils represent North Yorkshire county in cross country competitions and pursue the discipline further at club level
- Athletics takes part in the summer term where pupils are introduced to the many track and field events
- Sports Day at Cundall Manor is extremely popular for our community and well attended by family and friends. Our pupils have the opportunity to compete against other houses and to display their skills and abilities
Fun Sports at Cundall
Cundall Manor has a tradition of creating fun and out of the ordinary sporting activities. These include the Chocolate Cake Race, Race for Life Triathlon, the Minibus tug of war, Santa Dash and the infamous Go Kart race which the whole school community gets involved in.
From Welly Wanging for the younger pupils to whole school conker competitions, Cundall pupils know how to enjoy competitive and fun sports.
Finding new and innovative ways for our pupils to enjoy sport is something we excel at!